IECEx International Certification Scheme
With the vision of IECEx “to be the global centre of excellence in the highly specialized Ex field”, the IECEx system forms the global framework in terms of independent testing and certification of equipment within the field of explosion protection (generally the IEC 60079 series of standards).
So far, 31 nations have already participated in the IECEx-scheme, an upward trend can be observed.
The objective of the IECEx System is to facilitate international trade in equipment and services for use in explosive atmospheres, while maintaining the required level of safety:
- reduced testing and certification costs to manufacturer
- reduced time to market
- international confidence in the product assessment process
- one international database listing
- maintaining International Confidence in equipment and services covered by IECEx Certification
The IECEx Certified Equipment Scheme can provide:
an international Certificate of Conformity (CoC) that requires manufacturers to successfully complete:
- Testing and Assessment of samples for compliance with IEC Standards resulting in a Test and Assessment Report (ExTR)
- Assessment and auditing of manufacturers’ facilities and quality system resulting in a Quality Assessment Report (QAR).
Just like for the ATEx Directive (for the European market) the manufacturer’s assessment for the QAR consists of:
- an ISO 9001 assessment
- and an additional assessment according ISO/IEC 80079-34 Edition 1
Both audits might be combined in one single combi-audit.
- Ongoing surveillance audits of manufacturers’ facilities and quality system
Certificates issued by the IECEx Certified Equipment Scheme are issued as “electronic certificates” and are maintained on the IECEx website. This enables full public access for viewing and printing. For more information, visit the IECEx online certificate system http://iecex.com
For other countries that do not accept the IECEx CoC, but require national certification or approval, a “fast-track” process can be used to achieve national certification.
Ex-equipment manufacturers seeking an IECEx CoC can apply to TÜV SÜD, which is an IECEx Certification Body.
TÜV SÜD currently cooperates with the IECEx test laboratory Zelm Ex, for issuance of the ExTR.
On Basis of the ExTR issued by the associated ExTL ZelmEx and assessment for the QAR by the ExCB TÜV SÜD, an IECEx CoC and IECEx Conformity Mark can be issued by the ExCB TÜV SÜD.
In case of complaints or appeals concerning the services of TÜV SÜD, the complainant has the right to request the IECEx Board of Appeal to take appropriate action according to IECEx 01 (Annex A), if the outcome of the appeal is not satisfactorily after first contact with the TÜV SÜD contact partner.