Type approval for individual vehicles
Which vehicles need an individual type approval?
- Vehicles for which the type approval has expired, i.e. vehicles deregistered for over 18 months.
- Vehicles imported into Germany from abroad.
Exceptions are new or used vehicles with an EEC type approval and an EC declaration of conformity issued by the manufacturer/importer for the specific vehicle identification number. Vehicles imported individually into Germany from non-EU Member States (e.g. USA/Canada) always need a type approval for individual vehicles!
What is tested and what criteria are applied?
- The officially authorised expert first tests the vehicles' technical condition and roadworthiness. After all, once the vehicle has been registered it is given an inspection sticker valid for two years. The test roughly corresponds to a main roadworthiness test as per Article 29 StVZO.
- Apart from the above, the vehicle's compliance with the applicable registration regulations will also be verified, including but not limited to exhaust-gas performance, noise limits, braking system, light systems etc. Of course, all limits and regulations valid at the time of the vehicle's first registration must be observed.
- Any modifications to the vehicle (e.g. headlights, tail lights, type plate etc.) which may become necessary will be defined on site by the officially authorised expert.
- Used cars must also undergo emissions inspection.
- Last but not least, the technical data for preparing the German registration papers must be specified. The officially authorised expert must obtain the information to be included in the registration papers from reliable sources, i.e. not from copies of registration papers but, for example, from our datasheet service.
Any information to be included in vehicle registration papers which cannot be obtained must be determined by measuring, e.g. noise measurement.